love/hate: paris hilton



Being one of the most famous-for-being-famous socialites of the decade, Paris Hilton woke up one day and decided that she could sing. Well, it looks like homegirl is returning to the studio -- she even claims she wrote all the songs for her upcoming album herself. Paris founded Heiress Records in 2006 (a subsidiary of Warner Bros.) to record her first effort Paris, but was soon dropped—and it looks like nobody wants to record her sophomore album. Paris actually peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200, although overall sales were poor. The single "Stars Are Blind" was a great summer song-- it got lots of MTV rotation, and topped many charts worldwide. Yeahhh…I was as shocked as you were. So of course when that happened, I had to go and listen to every song she ever recorded. And they weren’t bad.

Paris had the help of mega-producer Scott Storch to create a dance/hip-hop/Kylie Minogue-sounding album—but the best part are the remixes. They cover up the vocals; but hey, it’s still kinda her voice under all the drums and bass. The lyrics are brutally honest, detailing her rough life as an heiress looking for love:
”Since I'm already screwed
Here's a message to you
My heart's wide open
I'm just not getting through to the lover in you
Yet I'm still hoping
That tonight, tonight, you're gonna turn down the lights
And give me a little more room just to prove it to you
What do I gotta do?”
Here’s the thing. This girl was born into a hotel empire and knew she never had to work a day in her life, yet she has anyways. So why not add a little singing to her TV shows, modeling career, perfume line, clothing line, a DOG clothing line, purse line, shoe line, cell phone games, sex tape DVD sales, public appearances, acting “career,” books, and even political stints. Paris sings simple, energetic dance/pop songs, and that’s just what they’re meant to be.

Let’s not forget the wise words she has told us live by: "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in.” With prose like that, I can’t wait to hear the lyrics she’s written on her next album. In fact, some of the leaked songs are a preview of what we’re in for. On “Platinum Blonde,” she says “Oh peroxide, do your work on me.” On “Girl Tax” she croons “My heart beats for the P-R-A-D-A.”

Good times.

The Guilty Pleasures:

To be honest, I LOVE the "Screwed" and "Nothing in this World" remixes. I may or may not know all the words.

0 comments :: love/hate: paris hilton

Post a Comment