try this: hanson (stand up stand up ep)




A few years back, my dad played a song for me and said “guess who sings this?” It was a really good rock song with a deep-voiced, throaty singer; it had a great melody and combination of sounds. I was pretty much floored when he said "Hanson” (the song was “Watch Over Me”). My mind flashed to images of the “MMMBop” video and the long-haired, high-pitched, smiley pre-teen pop idols. But many people don’t realize that Hanson hasn't slowed down since.


When “MMMBop” was released in 1996 and became their first major hit, the youngest member Zac was only 11 years old. Now 24, 26, and 29, the three brothers Zac, Taylor, and Issac have grown musically and lyrically as well. The really impressive thing to me is that they have always written their own songs and played their own instruments, ever since the beginning.

Their label Island Def Jam dropped them in a messy split in 2001, saying their songs weren’t marketable to their audience. The label refused over 80 songs. The Hanson brothers formed their own independent label 3CG Records, in which Underneath and The Walk were released. Underneath debuted at #25 on the Billboard 200 in 2004, making it one of the most successful independent releases of all time. The Walk was a heavy album in comparison; it was more drastic to further showcase their independence as artists. I saw Hanson play a small acoustic show at Michigan State University in 2005. They played acoustic versions of new songs and a few older ones, and seemed like confident, cool guys, who seem comfortable with where their career has taken them.

Now that I can safely say I’m a Hanson fan, I was naturally stoked when I heard they’re going to release a new album in mid-2010. They released the Stand Up, Stand Up EP a few weeks ago, including 4 live acoustic versions of songs on their upcoming album, along with 1 studio version song. The EP has simple progessions, lots of harmonies, and addictive melodies—pretty much standard Hanson. But their sound has matured even further since The Walk.

“These Walls”
Some happy chords, light organ, and heavy piano make me want to hear this song with drums.

“Carry You There”
Watch It Here (Taylor’s got a ‘stache, Zac’s still sporting a ponytail, and Issac is clearly a grown man.)
The harmonies are ridiculous on this...it just shows how long they’ve been playing together and hearing each other. I love the acapella repeats of “I’ll carry you there” at the end. They’re seamless.

“Use Me Up”
This song’s very different from the rest of the EP. Zac sings on this one, sadly singing “Use me up // Cause no one ever does.” Damn, Zac Hanson. A little emo these days are we? It still sounds great but the studio version should be better.

“Waiting For This”
…Cut to bright piano and drums. This super-upbeat song reminds me of the sound of The Rocket Summer (one of my favorites), right down to the “singalong” parts. I loved this one.

“World's on Fire”
This is the studio version, and the lyrics gave the Stand Up, Stand Up EP its name. Drums are heavy and contract with the high-note guitar and piano leads. It’s a little redundant overall, but the harmony doesn’t disappoint.

Give this EP a try, and you too may just become a Hanson fan. No shame is necessary.

0 comments :: try this: hanson (stand up stand up ep)

Post a Comment